What is better than a bobble stitch? A BIG Bobble Stitch of course! This crochet chunky scarf is super chunky, with knit-like rows nestled in between rows of giant bobbles. I mean….does is get any better?? Let’s dive right into this Bobble-iscious goodness…
DON’T LIKE ADS? PURCHASE THE DOWNLOADABLE, PRINTABLE PDF:
How to Make the Crochet Chunky Scarf
- 3 skeins Lion Brand Hometown or any #6 super bulky yarn (10 oz. skeins)
- N-13 (9 mm) crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
- 2 faux fur pom poms
- This pattern is written using standard US crochet terms.
- This is worked flat.
- The chain 1 at the beginning of each row does not count as a stitch.
- Loose tension is a MUST. You will working sl sts and if your tension is too tight, they will be miserable to work into. Feel free to go up a hook size or two if you need to.
- The first and last sl st of each row will be worked under BOTH loops. Otherwise, all other sl sts will be work in the back loop only.
- Stitch counts are purely what I did. You can make your scarf any length you’d like and your stitch count will be just fine. As long as you have 5 sl sts at the each end, it does not matter how many bobbles/single crochets are in between 🙂
Stitches used and abbreviations:
- sp = space
- yo = yarn over
- ch = chain
- st/sts = stitch/stitches
- sl st = slip stitch
- sl st blo = slip stich back loop only
- sc = single crochet
- sc blo = single crochet back loop only bbl = bobble stitch
Bobble Stitch: yo, insert hook into st, yo, draw up a loop, yo, draw through 2 loops. Do this a total of 5 times. There should be 6 loops on your hook. Yo and draw through all 6 loops on the hook. *Essentially you are just making a partial double crochet. So start a double crochet as you normally would BUT before you draw through the last 2 loops on your hook, you will repeat making a partial double crochet 4 more times.
Video Tutorial for the Crochet Chunky Scarf
Free Pattern for the Crochet Chunky Scarf
Row 1: ch 163 or your desired length. Turn. Sl st in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Ch 1, turn (162 sl sts)
Row 2: (making sure your tension is loose) sl st in first st. Sl st blo in next st and in each st across until you come to the last st. Sl st under both loops on the last st. Ch 1, turn. (162 sl sts)
Row 3: repeat row 2. (162 sl sts)
Row 4: sl st in first st, sl st blo in each of next 4 sts, sc blo in each st across until the last 5 sts. Sl st blo in each of next 4 sts. Sl st in both loops in last st. Ch 1, turn (152 sc, 10 sl sts)
Easy Crochet Scarf Pattern
Row 5: sl st in first st, sl st blo in each of next 4 sts, [bbl in next st, sc in next st] repeat from [ to ] across until the last 5 sts. Sl st blo in each of next 4 sts, sl st in last st. Ch 1, turn (76 bbl, 76 sc, 10 sl sts)
Row 6: sl st in first st, sl st blo in each of next 4 sts, sc (under both loops like normal) in next st and in each st across until the last 5 sts, sl st blo in each of next 4 sts. Sl st in both loops in last st. Ch 1, turn (152 sc, 10 sl sts)
Row 7-9: sl st in first st, sl st blo in each st across until the last st. Sl st in both loops in last st. (162 sl sts)
Rows 10-21: repeat rows 4-9 twice more. (if using worsted weight yarn instead of bulky, then repeat rows 4-9 until the scarf is your desired width)
Prepare the ends for your poms:
Using a tapestry needle threaded with yarn, start by weaving in and out across the bottom. Once you’ve reached the other end, pull on the yarn to cinch the bottom, run your needle through the other side and secure it with a knot.
Use a tapestry needle to weave in and out of stitches across the edge
Pull the yarn through to cinch the bottom
Run your needle through the other side (where you started).
Secure it with a knot.
To attach your poms:
My poms came with a little elastic loop on top so I just ran some yarn through and secured it to the ends of my scarf!
Weave in all ends.
Now your scarf is ready to wear!
If you make this scarf, be sure to tag me @spottedhorsedesignco on social media. I absolutely love seeing all your makes ❤️
SHOP PREMIUM PATTERNS:
These photos are the property of Spotted Horse Design Co. This tutorial is for your personal use only. Please do not copy/paste, distribute, or alter and claim as yo